The Big Island of Hawaii can be the perfect setting for your much-awaited honeymoon. Start your life together on an adventure of a lifetime. Have a relaxing vacation with the island’s hotels and resorts. Set out on a romantic trip to the island’s beaches, parks, and waterfalls.
A honeymoon vacation in Hawaii will be fun, exciting and memorable. Spend time together while exploring the beautiful tourist spots. Why pick the Big Island as your honeymoon destination? Here are 5 reasons why:
Photo: Ken Lund/Flickr
5 Reasons to Pick the Big Island of Hawaii as Your Honeymoon Destination
- You will have a great time beach-hopping.
The island of Hawaii is surrounded by the beautiful waters of the Pacific Ocean. There are many beaches to choose from; each one has unique features that will suit the preference of every tourist.
Photo: Alaska Dave/Wikimedia
Some people want tranquility, some like adventure, while some want clear waters for swimming or snorkeling. See marine wildlife like turtles, dolphins, and different species of fish living in the Pacific Ocean.
Hapuna Beach is one of the most well-known beaches on the Big Island. It has gentle waves perfect for tourists who want a relaxing atmosphere. You can also check-in at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel for some much-needed rest.
- Exploring the volcanoes of Big Island is an experience like no other.
The Big Island is special because it is home to two of the most famous volcanoes in the world. Mauna Loa is considered as the largest volcano on the planet (in terms of mass and volume). Kilauea is probably the most active volcano on Earth. Its most recent eruption started on January 3, 1983 and continues up to this day.
Photo: Tavis Jacobs/Flickr
The volcanoes on the Big Island are still continuing to shape the landscape of Hawaii. Hot lava meets the mighty waters of the Pacific, making the islands bigger.
The Nahuku – Thurston Lava Tube is a 500-year old cave that you can explore. It was formed when volcanic lava flow hardened to form a crust. Meanwhile, the Thomas A. Jaggar Museum gives tourists a fantastic view of the crater of the Kilauea volcano. You can also learn more information on the volcanoes of Hawaii.
A nature-inspired honeymoon is a unique way of spending your honeymoon. You and your spouse’s vacation will surely be a memorable one, and you can tell your future children about your adventure. So, for a different kind of honeymoon, consider having the Big Island of Hawaii as your travel destination.
- The national parks of Big Island are simply amazing.
The Big Island of Hawaii has a lot of parks that you can visit. Perhaps the most popular of them all is the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Designated as a World Heritage Site, the park offers a fantastic view of the Halema’uma’u crater of the Kilauea Volcano.
Photo: Ken Lund/Flickr
Couples can have a memorable stay at the Volcano House, the only hotel located in the park. It is the perfect backdrop and provides an atmosphere like no other. Connect with Mother Nature and know how it feels to be alive. Make your honeymoon a special and memorable day that you will never forget.
The Pu’uhonoa O Honaunau National Historical Park is a sacred site which features royal gardens, carved wooden images, and royal fish ponds.
Adventurous couples can go hiking on the Kilauea Iki Trail, where they can walk on solidified lava. With several choices of parks, camping with your special someone will be a romantic one as you gaze on the stars of the night sky. Cold evenings is perfect for some hugs and kisses.
- The culture and people of Hawaii are amazing.
Discover the rich culture of Hawaii. A Luau is a traditional Hawaiian party or feast which is usually accompanied by entertainment – Hawaiian music, drums, and dancers. To make it more authentic, wear a lei or a necklace made from flowers and ferns.
A Hawaiian hula is a Polynesian form of dance which interprets the words of a chant or a song. The Merrie Monarch Festival is a Hawaiian week-long celebration which features both ancient and modern hula. It takes place every year after Easter.
- You’ll have a taste of Hawaiian cuisine.
Hawaii is famous for its pineapples, macadamia nuts, and coffee. Tour the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Corporation, one of the leading producers of macadamia nuts in the world.
Hawaiian cuisine is a fusion of native Hawaiian, Portuguese, American, and Japanese dishes. The favorite ingredients of the Hawaiians are pineapple, taro, coconut, spam, pork, beef, and tuna. Popular dishes include chicken long rice, lau lau, loco moco, spam musubi, and malasada.
Things to Remember During Your Honeymoon on the Big Island
- Use binoculars. The scenic tourist spots on the island provide great opportunities for you to see the beauty of nature up close and personal. What better way to do that than by using binoculars. Use them when you want to zoom in on volcanoes, landscapes, and yes, even Humpback Whales on the Pacific Ocean.
- Bring a strong flashlight. It is especially handy when going on an adventure at night. If you want to go to the Nahuku – Thurston Lava Tube, the inner part of the cave is totally dark, so your flashlight will be very handy.
- Use comfortable, heavy duty rubber shoes. Don’t use sandals or flip-flops if you plan to go hiking. You’ll regret it. Walking on solidified lava is not ideal for exposed feet. Some tourist spots also have rugged terrains, so it is better to use shoes that have good grip and traction.
- Try Kona coffee, ice cream, and shaved ice treats – the popular desserts and drinks on the Big Island.
- Hapuna Beach is probably the best beach on the Big Island. This beautiful white sand beach has gentle waters (most of the time) and not too deep, so you and your sweetheart can spend more time in the water.
- One of the highlights of your honeymoon vacation would be whale watching. See the giants of the Pacific Ocean – the Humpback Whales. One thing to remember is that the best time for whale watching is from December 15 to April 15.
- In case your honeymoon vacation doesn’t coincide with those dates, you can still see fantastic marine life, especially the dolphins. They are smart, gentle, and playful animals. You will surely enjoy a close encounter with the adorable dolphins.
- What better way to see the amazing sceneries of the Big Island than to take to the skies aboard a helicopter. There are companies which offer such services. Taking a helicopter ride will bring your relationship with your loved one to a “whole new level.”
The Big Island of Hawaii is a travel destination like no other. Newlyweds will surely have a great time spending their honeymoon vacation in Hawaii. From beaches, volcanoes, parks, waterfalls, hotels, and resorts, the island has it all.
Enjoy the colorful Hawaiian culture and the delicious Hawaiian food as you cherish every moment spent with your loved one. As you look back in time, you will always remember the wonderful experience you had in Hawaii.